Monday, January 21, 2008

Theatre Experience

And yes I spell it with the e last.

I went to see J.J. Abrams produced Cloverfield this weekend. I usually try to avoid this certain theater because I know the clientèle it pulls in likes to add their own commentary. Due to this fact, my cousin and I went to an 11:30(!) showing on Sunday figuring we'd be safe. We even got there a little after the start so we could sit away from people.

Wouldn't you know it but just a minute into the movie a group sits down behind us that spends at least a minute loudly trying to figure out the very difficult process of sitting down. After that, they obviously needed to have a loud discussion about the sitting down process. Not to get into any more of it but this group did not seem well educated and they were white. I am only saying this because there is a stereotype about black movie patrons and I wanted to specify. Just saying.

Now Cloverfield was very good and unique and I suggest to you all to see it on the big screen, but these........people behind me really had an effect on my engrossment in the movie. I went to see the Simpsons movie in the same theater with a full crowd and that was absolutely RUINED for me.

There is a theatre in Vorhees, NJ that I know I can go to to avoid the masses and watch with people who respect the cinema, but it still feels too much like a art house theatre to me.

I want to start a chain of theatres in which the experience of going to a movie can be perfected celebrated and will bring people back to the big screen.

- First you would have a console where you could have: Drinks and popcorn delivered during the movie so you wouldn't have to miss anything, you could "rat" on people who are talking to loud and do so with anonymity, and engage in premovie events, like onscreen polls or trivia.

- Second, the seating would be spread out and there would be sections for groups or couples. This would require assigned seats of course. The chairs would be comfy enough that your ass would never get numb.

-Third, you could buy an all day pass that would allow you to hop from movie to movie for a Saturday like event. Screenings of old, cult movies would run for those who never got to see them on the big screen or had regrets about skipping them.

-Fourth, sound would always be top notch and condiments would be real....like REAL nachos, the little things would be attended to.


Anyway that's my idea.

Spinnin' the reels,
'thew

--------------------------------------------------------------------
LINKS
--------------------------------------------------------------------
- Why is this a news story? Chuck Norris is no longer awesome.
- Haha. Might be a repost.
- If you know the internets well, this will crack you up. (NSFW!!!)
- Interesting read.
- Yaaaa! Son of Huckleberry!
- Good rules.
- These are unbelievable.
- Oh good. America is on a torture watch list.
- That picture is precious.
- You probably already know this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
WEIGHT 263.0 Hit a Wall, gotta hit the gym harder
--------------------------------------------------------------------
RANDOM THOUGHT - What did people call the robot voice before anyone knew what robots were?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
MUSIC
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoon - The Underdog - This song grew on me

No comments: