Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hooray for America

Recently some have said I am anti-American due to the things I say on this blog. To them I say, bollocks!

I thought in America we got over the idea that people who speak out about what they don't like with their country, in the hopes of fixing those things through exposure, are not anti-American. In fact they are as pro-American as can be.

I'm curious why people think it is anti- American to question your leaders? Do they think we should follow them blindly, allowing them to take the "ship" where they want? I think people are afraid of free speech, afraid to criticize America's leaders and status, like that will capsize the boat. I am obviously using the boat analogy due to the phrase "don't rock the boat", which is what people are saying when they accuse most of anti-Americanism.

I'll flip the scrip here for a second and say those who practice this are in fact, anti-American. INFLAMMATORY STATEMENT! Seriously though, it's been a hard couple of years for this country and we need to know that only we can fix it by talking about it: lambasting what we don't like and praising what we do. Ignoring things for the sake of happiness/peace of mind is cowardly to me. Now if you don't care, that's fine with me, it's your right. As for me I'm going to stay involved, like it or not.

Rockin' the boat,
'thew

-------------------------------------------------------------------
LINKS
-------------------------------------------------------------------
- This is what I look at all day only these guys are artists.
- What a heartless bastard.
- Awesome! Steampunk Star Wars is my fave.
- A neat story about a little Atoll out in the desert of the Pacific. Check out the name of the captain who discovered it.
- George Clooney is funny.
- YMCA? WWJD?
- Interesting.
- This is flipping nuts.
- I can't fathom this guy murdering his breakfast cereal let alone 2 people.
- For the environments sake, we need to build more nuclear reactors. That's right, I said it.
- That's great.
- Let me clean your computer screen for you....
- Scientology destroys lives and families.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
WEIGHT - 261.1 - We all knew there would be some fluctuation
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MUSIC
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Alice in Chains - Dam That River

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Quick retort: there's a difference between criticism and disrespect. I find that many Bush-haters, for example, happily cross that line. In this regard I find it disappointing that these sorts of liberal critics find it so unproblematic to speak of our President with such utter disrespect and gleeful derogation. Certainly, healthy disapproval of our government is encouraged - and desirable, just as the founding fathers intended. However, I personally find the exhaustive abasement of the President himself to at a certain point become a sort of mockery of the Office itself. These are off the cuff comments, and obviously not fully expounded, but my meaning is this: criticize your heart out, just do it constructively, and be cautious of demeaning the Presidency itself. Bear in mind, mayhaps YOU didn't vote for him, but the system did its job and he IS the President of the United States - and that should be respected.

thewster said...

Where is the line? I'll agree that sometimes it seems people just attack and blame for attack's sake. Maybe it's out of desperation or scapegoating.

At what point, though, did he garner this mass disrespect of the office? I am sympathetic to the point of "he's our president," but I'll counter that he has not been the first to garner that disrespect. In fact some of the same people who cry foul when Bush is put upon were the same celebrating Clinton's censure.

AS to being a bush-hater, I don't think I hate him as much as I pity his presidency. He was led astray by the men behind him.

The original aim of the post was to anti-american claims, not Bush ones.

Let me just say this: I'm not disrespectful of the president, I'm just yearning for one I can respect.