Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Best Albums of 2007

Let me preface this list by saying that not all of these albums came out in 2007. I am qualifying these albums as ones I've found within the last year. It may take some albums awhile to get to my ears, so I don't want to count albums out just because they were officially released in 2007.
Now that I've said that I've also noticed that 2007 wasn't a GREAT year for music...lots of transition going on...scattered releases and lots of unknowns. These are the albums I liked the most over the last year. Enjoy:

10. Into the Wild - Eddie Vedder

The "solo" album from EV but also the soundtrack to a film of the same name made by Sean Penn. Many consider this to be the solo album. I consider it an excellent soundtrack to a movie. You can hear why EV is REALLY talented, a must have for any fan and a calm, troubled, defiant statement on separation from society.



9. Because of the Times - Kings of Leon

The Kings of Leon are getting better and better and better. Their last album, Aha Shake Heartbreak, is one of the best albums I've ever heard. It bounced, wailed and danced. This one is interesting because, while it may not be as good as the last one its a perfect example of how a great band progresses instead of more of the same. And its better then most of anything that the record companies release. When I come back to this album later, it could become even better.




8. Dethalbum - Dethklok

This album comes from the show, "Metalocalypse" on Adult Swim. Now I am NOT a big fan of heavy metal but not since I started watching the show. The show essentially lampoons heavy metal, yet every 15 minute show has a good portion of a seriously heavy metal song and you know what? They're good....real good. I'd say that this fake heavy metal band has continued in spirit what Spinal Tap was doing



7. The Reminder - Feist

Here's some juxtapostion for you....look it up.

If you haven't heard of her you are living under a rock....the rest of the album is just as charming as the following song.



6. Era Vulgaris - Queens of the Stone Age

One of my favorite bands, so I may be biased here. Funny thing about this album is I didn't like it at first. I was seriously upset that this album wasn't matching up to the greatness of all their other albums. Luckily a friend(edonzo) couldn't stop saying how it was better than their older albums. So I just put it on at work over and over and over andover again. I love it know. They're coming to take me away, haha!




HALF WAY THERE!

5. Everything All the Time/Cease to Begin - Band of Horses

I'm listing this bands first two, and only, albums as I think they are a perfect one, two punch. Ethereal, driving, and glorious you may have cought these guys on a previous post here. I love 'em and I think they have a bright future ahead of them. This is another album/band that are a little hard to grasp at first but once you do its all cream cheese and watermelon from then on.



4. Carnavas - Silversun Pickups

I can't tell anybody enough about this band and you must know. Another one you have seen SEVERAL times here. Unique vocals, noisy feedback, well crafted, furious drumming. Listen enough and you'll be hearing the riffs in your head as you walk around.




3. All This Time - The Heartless Bastards

This is a band I just found recently thanks to NPR. And I'm also noticing my last 3 picks have been very indie rock....no matter.
The lead singer has this seventies songstress aspect to her voice that I adore. They're only a 3 piece band and yet they can explode with fury and slink back into quieter measures. I'm excited that I just found them and have a lot to explore.



2. Icky Thump - The White Stripes

I think as long as The White Stripes release an album, it will be included in my top ten. This band of TWO(!), manage to put forth rock that still rocks and I think they are the only ones doing it in the mainstream. Now granted, I have a mini-crush on Meg White but don't hold this against this review. This is visceral, bang-your-head, break stuff rock. Jack White is the only rock and roller worth a damn anymore. Black, red and white.




1. In Rainbows - Radiohead

This is a masterpiece. Radiohead will influence EVERY band to come for the next 50 years just as the Beatles had done before them. I'm sure you heard about this album as they offered it for what ever price you wanted to pay, even if that was zero dollars. FREE. And it might be the best album I've ever heard. It's flawless. I don't even want to try to describe it to you. Some say this is a companion album to OK Computer, their other masterpiece. I say upon further listenings of this it may overtake OK as their best album. You NEED to own this. Go get it now!




Ok, folks, some notables: Sigur Ros' Live Double Album Hvarf-Heim, M.I.A., Rilo Kiley, Kanye West, Serj Tankian, Aesop Rock, Neil Young's several releases, The Roots, Modest Mouse, Bjork - Volta, Wilco, Xavier Rudd.


What am I missing? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list but i have to disagree with 2 entries. Icky thump is NOT a good album. Its like THe White Stripes are trying to reinvent themselves and all they managed to do was dissasemble a perfectly good car. Yeah, I know thats harsh and a little strange but...i was disappointed. Maybe i'll give it another chance.

Metalocalyse? umm (slowly banging head on desk)

Other than those two. Nice list. Radiohead has truly outdone themselves. Some tracks like "Bodysnatchers" and "House of Cards" are not as catchy like "Reckoner" and "Faust Arp" BUT i'm definitely warming up to them.

thewster said...

Icky Thump is an amazing album from back to front. I don't know how you can say they are trying to reinvent themselves; their delivery is the same as every other album complete with the red, white, and black palate. Give it another chance, and know that the conquest song is a remake.


I told you you wouldn't like Metalocalypse.