Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Our gallows.

Capital punishment is as fundamentally wrong as a cure for crime as charity is wrong as a cure for poverty.

HENRY FORD


I came across this article last week and Ive been gathering my thoughts to comment. Its a little old(April 2002), so bear with me and I will provide current stats later.

As far as I'm concerned the death penalty should be halted. It's an antiquated stain on the progress America has made as a world leading country. I think its actually a pretty easy argument.

How many people have been put to death since 1976(when the death penalty was reinstated, on Americas 200th birthday!)? 1095 (source)

How many have been exonerated by DNA evidence during that time? over 120 (source)

What about the ones executed before DNA comparison was put into place? I have no doubt in my mind that the State has executed innocent people. And they do it for you. That is why the cases are always the people vs. Mr. So-and-so. If an innocent man is put to death, that is murder plain and simple. Doesn't matter who does it.


To those who say it helps alleviate overcrowded prisons, 1095 people is a drop in the bucket.
To those who say it is a crime deterrent, I argue that no one is scared of the death penalty when they commit a crime, they're more scared of prison. You don't want to be someones boyfriend, do you?
The rest of the world, on the whole, does not have capital punishment, but of those who do, check out the company we keep. Nice.

Eye for an eye is an antiquated idea; lets get America moving into the 21st century.

'thew

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
LINKS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Mix tape of the gods (thanks A')
- WANT ONE!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
MUSIC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the greatest bands of all time, Radiohead. They also have some of the best videos.


This is the video that got me into Radiohead. I like the Kuato in the middle.




I'm just linking this one because it has disturbing war images, please view at your discretion. GRAPHIC!!!

Sit Down. Stand up.

No comments: