Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bye, Harry


Bye, Harry Kalas. Kruk's thoughts:

This was a very tough day because we just lost a legend. Losing Harry Kalas isn't just a tough loss for the Philadelphia Phillies organization or for the Phillies' fans. It's a tough loss for sports fans everywhere because Harry transcended Philadelphia and baseball. If you knew about sports, you'd heard about Harry Kalas.

This guy touched so many people with his warmth and his great talent. I've received numerous phone calls from friends who never had the pleasure of meeting Harry, people who knew him only from telecasts. And to a man, every one of them was in tears because they felt as if they'd just lost a member of their family. He was in our homes every day, and the thought of his not being there tomorrow and the day after is almost unbearable. This hits especially close to home for me because I was lucky enough to call Harry a friend. The first time I ever met him was when I was playing for the Padres and we traveled to Philadelphia for a series and some teammates and I met him. I remember being struck by how nice a legend could be. The next time I met him was after I became a Phillie and I really got to talk to him. We did an on-field interview, and it was great because we were able to talk beforehand and I got some insight from this veritable walking baseball encyclopedia. I'll miss those types of talks. I'll miss a lot now that Harry is gone. I'll miss the rides he and I would take when the team would travel to New York to play the Mets and he and I would be driven there in a car and just talk baseball and drink some beers. I could ask him anything baseball-related and he'd know the answer because he had seen so much. He and I played cards together on the plane and hung out together in the offseason, and I never missed an opportunity, even now, to talk to him when I went to the ballpark. Like so many others, I sought him out whenever I went to the old stadium, even after I retired. As sad as I am that I lost such a great friend, I'm glad that he passed away in the only place he probably could ever imagine leaving this world -- in the booth. Harry, I'll miss you, and so will so many others.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LINKS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- These poor Afghani women.
- The new Sasha Baron Cohen(Borat) movie trailer.
- Custer's bonus.
- Cheney needs to shut the eff up.
- Disney is lazy.
- Scanwiches look delicious.
- Worst first pitches.
- This girl is awesome.
- Last supper adaptations.
- Neat juice boxes.
- You'll play with this for MINUTES!
- That's some serious bling.
- That's entertaining.
- This guy can't be real.
- Dangerous or revolutionary?
- The Mexican drug war...sorta graphic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MUSIC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Ting Tings
That's Not My Name
I just love this.....perfect pop.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Great post today!! I especially loved the bit about the Last Supper... and excellent song choice!